Wednesday, July 11, 2007

That's You?!

It's amazing....

I had a friend who opened a recording studio and to get people interested he held an open house. He let folks come in and try out the studio free of charge. Of course, I took advantage of the chance to record something in a real studio. I didn't have the money to pay for that type of thing then, and it was something that I had been dying to do. I recorded a few different songs. They all came out pretty good, but one of them is great.

Several months later I showed it to a woman at a talent agency (they really handled models more than anything else). She stuck it in the tape player and turned it on. She listened for a minute or so and then looked at me and said "That's you?". I said it was. She listened a bit more and then looked at me again. Then she said while pointing at the tape player and then at me, "That is you.". Again, I said it was. She turned the volume down some, crossed her arms, and said "Sing.". So I did, and she finally believed me. I was a little surprised by the whole thing. I didn't expect that when I played the tape for someone they wouldn't believe that it was me.

Just last night we played the recording for some new friends and they said the same thing...."That's You?!" Unbelievable. I guess I just don't look the part. I don't look like the people on the red carpet. I'm a real person. I guess everyone expects you to look a certain way if you have certain kinds of talent. Singers should look like this and artists should look like this and actors should look like that and athletes should look like that. There is so much stereotyping in this world that we just can't seem to accept people for who they are. This is one of the major snags I have hit over the years. But once they get to know me, they get over it quick.

No comments: