Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sure I Can......

You know, sometimes my mouth talks before my brain realizes what it is about to say. It's at those times that I tend to get myself into trouble....or pretty damn close to it. Most of the time I manage to get things to work out to my advantage--don't ask me how--but there are also times when I get in over my head. I'm not sure which one of those this falls under, but I hope I end up with the advantage.

Last Monday I got a call from my contact at one of the places that I have been playing over the last few months. He offered me four new dates, one of which being a St. Patrick's Day party on March 13th, for which they will pay extra because it's a holiday party. I was ecstatic, to say the least. He told me they want all the bells and whistles for this one--music, lights, fog--everything. This all came about because during a previous conversation he mentioned that they had gone with another DJ for their Valentine's Day party because it's more of a formal party and this person had lights and fog and such. "I have all of that," I told him. "Oh, really?" he replied. "Oh, yeah," I told him. So a few days later he calls me with these new dates. Great! Fantastic! Woohoo!!

OK, here's the thing....

I haven't had the chance to use my lights much, mostly because the places I have played recently really don't have room for me to set them up....and I have never used the fog machine....never. Not only is it still in the box, but I haven't even broken the seal on the box. I figured I would get around to it eventually. Up until now, no one has asked about it. I figured at karaoke shows there really wasn't a need for it. Now I am feeling a little bit of anxiety about the whole situation. It's January and it's 12 degrees outside. When and where am I gonna have the opportunity to test out a fog machine without my neighbors thinking my house is ablaze and calling the fire department?? How much fog juice do I need? (Yes, fog juice.) I know of a couple of places where the DJ that was playing used a fog machine and it set off the fire alarm at the establishment they were playing at. Can you imagine??

Maybe....probably....I am getting myself all worked up over nothing. It's probably just a matter of pouring in the fog juice, plugging it in and turning the machine on. Sounds simple enough, doesn't it? The lights are probably going to be more difficult to figure out than the fog machine....probably. I really don't understand why I am freaking out over this anyway. The show isn't tomorrow, it's almost two months away. I should be able to figure all this out by then....right?

Sure I can....

No comments: